Sunday, October 4, 2015

Completed: 5/5 - Caramel Corn: #25. cook five different Métis recipes

Caramel Corn (with Nuts and Raisins)


Adapted from Breaking Bread Across the Nation: The Métis Nation of Ontario Recipe Book:


  • 3 quarts popped corn (I went traditional):

  • 1 cup margarine (I used Vegan Becel)
  • 2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup syrup (I used pure maple)
  • 1 cup nuts (I used a raw mix from Vitamart.ca, including cashews, walnuts, raisins, peppitas, and pecans)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • olive oil to grease cookie sheet

Boil the margarine, sugar, and syrup for 5 mins, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, adding baking powder and vanilla. Stir and let sit for 2 mins. It will foam.

Stir well and pour over popcorn and nuts. Mix well.

Pour onto large greased cookie sheet. Bake in oven for 1 hour at 225F, stirring every 15 mins. Store in airtight container.



_________________


This goal is complete, but far from over. Making bannock allowed me to discover an appreciation of baking in general, and I made some pretty fantastic gluten-free sweet potato muffins. I plan to do so again with the arrival of my next Farms & Forks produce box, which will contain 3 pounds of sweet potatoes. I also ordered tapioca flour, rice flour and almond flour from Vitamart.ca, mixing them together for - what I am told will be - the best results with gluten-free baking.

I also ordered shallots, and want to make some vegan Bassitigan (Sunshine Soup), primarily consisting of sunflower seeds and onions. 

I also was enamoured with the Three Sisters Soup, and will be making this again very soon.

In short, this goal allowed me creativity, innovation, the rediscovery of a love of cooking - and a new love of vegan baking.




[Original goal list posted here.]

No comments:

Post a Comment