Sunday, November 22, 2015

Update: #24: Make 5 Different First Nations crafts





Here are some custom versions of the Sweetgrass Medicine Wheel, created at the request of a colleague as Christmas gifts for his wife and daughter. The first is about the size of a loonie at centre, crafted with different colours of malleable wire. The second is only about the size of a quarter, the centre made of malleable wire, wrapped with hemp cord. Both function as necklaces.

If interested, I take custom requests at my Etsy store. 

Moreover, Geoff's colleague gifted me an eagle feather. This is a hugely honorable bestowal. I have been reading articles and watching youtube videos for proper care of my feather. I want to learn the peyote stitch, or perhaps use my loom to make a beaded covering, the colour of the Métis sash, for the bottom.

I have also ordered this cedar feather box to house it when I need to take it anywhere. I want to carve and/or create a golden eagle design on the exterior. I also want to try to craft my own wooden feather box to house my feather smudging wand. My dad says he will help.

Other upcoming plans for crafting:
(1) Bought a handsaw to cut circular slabs of wood branches and make native-themed bolo ties.
(2) Going to learn Métis beadwork to bead a medicine bag I made, and my mom will help me with the drawstring necklace.
(3) Bought vest patterns to, (a) make a vest of map fabric, and (b) make my own regalia vest with Métis beadwork.

C'mon, winter break! I have crafts to make!




No comments:

Post a Comment