Sunday, April 24, 2016

Completed: #24. make five different First Nations crafts (5/5 - Peyote Stitch Keychain)

I have been wanting to bead the bottom of my eagle feather - but I knew that this would require some variety of circular bead stitch. I only know freehand and loom stitching.

I looked up resources online. I reviewed diagrams, written instructions, and YouTube tutorials. When there are hard and fast rules, I simply learn best by verbal instruction, kinesthetic experimentation, and the ability to ask - and immediately have answered - any troubleshooting questions.

A workshop? Yes, please.

My little sister and I attended this peyote stitch workshop at Peterborough's Canoe Museum lead by Andrew Bullock. (To clarify: No hallucinogens. Just a really accomplished instructor, some retired ladies, beads, my little sister and I, surrounded by canoes and informational plaques in a place that smelled of rawhide and wood.)

A lucky bonus: My little sister is aces, and I don't get to see her enough. She was kind enough to drive. (I am directionally inept.) For many reasons, I could have never done this workshop without her - not the least of all being that I had several moments of imagining myself silently crying if she were not there to help me along with understanding the basics. She's probably the smartest and most humble little gal I know and she picked up this stitch incredibly quickly - which is not a surprise, because she's a really fast learner. Here is a photo I snapped of her before we started, alongside her final piece:




She's super pretty AND mad-talented, see.


My pieces are not so impressive, but complete. I started them both yesterday, and accomplished the first last night and the second this afternoon. These are both freeform designs. I have some patterns - and I would like to try them out on branches to make into keychains and/or necklace charms for Treecycle. When I feel satisfied enough with my progress, I want to make my own pattern and bead my eagle feather.

I am glad to now know the basics of the stitch, however.

 

Here is my first attempt, in progress and complete. I am aware that it looks vaguely phallic. This was not intentional, okay??


 

Here is my second attempt, in progress and complete.


For those who want to be in the know, these are constructed of a doweling rod wrapped in soft leather. The beads are size 10. With the assistance of an eye hook screwed into the top, they will be keychains. If you're capable of following written instructions and/or diagrams and/or YouTube tutorials, there is a plethora of information online for this stitch.



I have also been working on freehand-beading a drawstring medicine pouch necklace. It's taking quite awhile, but I intend it to be precious to me - so I figure it's worth the effort. Although with this final fifth of five First Nations crafts, I've accomplished my goal, I'll post to show you the medicine pouch upon completion regardless.


Dear goal #24, you brought me hand-crafted medicine wheels and a love of beading. For that, I thank you dearly. If I never scratch another goal off this list, I have already been enriched.



4 comments: