Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Progress: #24. Learn more about rocks

 I find that the best kits for amateur rock identification are made for children. I bought this one at Value Village and, to my learning pleasure, the rocks were all mixed up. I set to ID and arrange them myself.

Based on prior knowledge, I was able to correctly ID 12 on my own and used the enclosed guide to help me ID the rest of the 36. Oddly, one listed in the tray (Blue Aventurine) was not present, though the book had another - Specularite - listed, which also seemed to match the characteristics of the rock remaining. Therefore, I relabelled it in the tray.

This was fun. 

(P.S. My daughter is not yet 2, but she's pretty into rocks already, so I look forward to future rock activities with her!)






P.P.S.: This pretty Moonstone is my favourite:


No comments:

Post a Comment