Monday, August 22, 2016

Completed: #19 - read about local flora & harvest material to brew my own tea

I spent a couple hours of the early afternoon up in my new reading room, perusing these two field guides:


One of my favourite aspects of my new rental property is how overgrown it is with all sorts of trees. I've already put them to use with supporting a hammock, and providing me with Cedar sprigs for medicine pouches and sugar scrubs.

Today I used these guides to identify the trees on my lawn I didn't know: Boxelder Maple, White Spruce (which is also called a "Blue Spruce," but not in either of these guides). I read about the ones I already knew: Cedar, Sugar Maple.

I learned that Cedar is potentially toxic if ingested, and actual fatalities have been reported. Somehow I was under the previous impression that maybe it would make a good tea. Thanks, guides to medicinal plants and herbs!

However, I also learned that Spruce tea is common (though most prefer Black over White, considering the latter too bitter). High in Vitamin C and antioxidants, Spruce teas were formerly used for such ailments as tuberculosis and scurvy. Today, they are documented to be of use for stomach problems, rheumatism, kidney stones, laryngitis, and weight loss.

However, one should NOT drink this tea if pregnant.

I decided to give the White Spruce Tea a try. I used a combination of these two sites when preparing my tea.

It is recommended that a person harvests the newer, lighter Spruce sprigs for a more delicate-tasting, less bitter, tea. These are completely simple to identify visually:


I cut about 3 or 4 sprigs, which was an absolutely ideal amount for a first try.

Next, I took the sprigs inside, washed them, and separated the needles as best I could from the bark. I then chopped them into small pieces with scissors and placed them in a (Western) medicine container (the irony).


Next, I covered a small pot of water on the stove, setting it to boil.

I put all the pieces of Spruce needles (about a tablespoon total) into a tea ball strainer, and placed the strainer into a large mug. I covered the mug with boiling water and let it steep, using the chain to sift the strainer around occasionally.


Verdict: A hot tea on a summer day that tastes just like winter. I do not find it too bitter, and I'd drink it again. It's kind that my lawn is presenting it to me for free. Nature!

For variations: It seems that the needles could also be boiled whole. Steep for 10-15 minutes. Sugar, or a sugar substitute may be added for a desired sweetness.

No comments:

Post a Comment