Thursday, August 11, 2016

Completed: #34 - clean up / organize / revamp art studio

I think I meant to do this in my old place. However, by the time it became apparent that I was moving into a much larger space, with room again for my own studio, it seemed like sort of a moot point if I were to do it, simply to do it all over again.

Therefore, my "before" shot is of the old place:


This is the state of disarray in which I had resolved to keep it, under the rationale of "Oh well, it's a studio. It gets messy anyway, right?" The creation of Treecycle only heightened this rationale, as I was inundated with branches and needles and slabs of tree trunks that I wasn't sure how to sort and that were frequently in use.

As you can see from the labels in this photo, some attempts of organization were in fact made prior to this palimpsestic mess. I do need to tell you that they were not mine. I shall reveal to you that once I was sick with a 2-day vomitous migraine (an unfortunately common experience) and my mom came to help take care of me. During my long bouts of sleep, the neglected cry of the messy studio was too much and she went ahead - metaphorical scythe in hand - and hacked away at it, leaving handwritten thematic notations as to where she piled the clutter. Geoff's response to this endeavour: "I've been wanting to do that for months".

I did end up reducing some of this clutter to about 3 bags of garbage and 4 of recycling when I put in my notice and the landlord decided to give his tours of the place. (Apparently there were 30 views and the place was snatched up that day, so I guess I did okay. I sent an email warning about the inevitable clutter of an artist's studio beforehand. I don't think he was too pleased. Non-artist folk, yeah?)

In the interim, I started thinking about ways that I would ideally want to organize a studio, for optimum use and ease of tidying. I love the idea of organizing by theme. (I actually really do love organizing, when I'm not either feeling particularly defeated or just generally masochistic.) I realized I needed much more in the way of small parts cabinets. This actually started my great discovery of Bunz (thanks, Steph!) and my renewed gusto for garage sales (Thanks, Geoff!)

In short, this organization was as inexpensive as it was efficient. 

I have already used this studio for finalizing a rustic wedding ring box, and decorating a pair of canvas sneakers for a wedding reception. It's actually quite easy to clean when everything has its right place.

This four minute studio tour below explains a lot of the more finicky details:




No comments:

Post a Comment