Sunday, July 2, 2017

Progress: #43. make my own regalia

Here are some progress shots of the back of a vest I've been beading, using seed and bugle beads on vinyl. (I've actually either been gifted or traded for most of the materials, so it's a continual act of resourcefulness and embracing the accident, which is nice.) The iconography is based around my spirit name and medicine wheel symbolism. The eagle design is a variation derived from a jean jacket my mom once embroidered for my dad, which is now in my possession.

This will be familial and cultural and may take me another year to complete, but I'm okay with that.

The front left hand side will also feature traditional Métis flower beadwork.

I have to thank my 43things goals for inspiring me to take up beadwork in the first place, really. I think this may be the pinnacle of any beading I ever do -- save for if I ever have a child I want to make something, maybe.

I don't think I've ever been this contented with something I've been creating, but it's so incredibly time-consuming and there are so many other art projects just waiting to be tried. Life's sort of cool like that.









No comments:

Post a Comment