Monday, February 18, 2019

Progress: #1. Propose a written text for publication

This is a carry over from my last 3 year set, because I was waiting for authentic motivation. It's taken some up close arts & crafts, some ASD advocacy, some self-reflection and some Writer's Craft inspiration, but I'm going to give it a go. I am going to create my graphic novel memoir.

First, I pulled out all my graphic novels and set them in piles according to publishers. I noted authors and drew up some notes of similarities between their work and my own.

Next, I researched graphic novel publishers and submission specifications -- including some publishers of some of my favourites, and some smaller scale publishers. I also wrote down a list of individual authors to contact directly, and found at least 7 accessible email addresses.



Subsequently, I went through old photo boxes for sources and pulled them, too, along with any old interesting works or writings from various ages.





I tested all my pens and inks.



I pulled out my old bubble and frame templates, some papers, and some old comics of mine for potential use or inspiration.



I noted down a basic outline and - friends, I'm ready to go. It looks as though for most submission requirements, I'll need 5-20 inked and complete pages, a cover mockup, proposed length, and a synopsis, so I'm going to accomplish those things before any further contact work.

The best thing about this sort of work is that I can carry it with me whenever I'm out, should the time or desire strike.

I'm glad to feel I have a focus.



Original goal list posted here

No comments:

Post a Comment