Saturday, May 18, 2019

#5. Go greener

I'm going to start making some "eco-tips" posts, as frequently as possible.

Today's post is inspired by, and about, dandelions.



I have spent the past week researching dandelion "recipes", in preparation for early spring foraging.

For the past 30 or so hours, I have picked and made a lot of things of dandelions.

1. Dandelion salves, which are supposed to be good for muscle and joint aches and pains, along with dry skin. These were made by boiling dandelions in an olive-oil melt & pour soap base + coconut oil, straining the mixture with cheese cloth, boiling the liquid in a double boiler with Shea butter and sweet orange essential oil, and then spooning what rose into these tiny watchmaker containers. I have been rubbing it into my always achy "tennis elbow," and it seems to be doing some good.




2. Dandelion soaps. Using the leftover clear liquid, which was evidently the olive oil soap base, I poured it into various sizes and shapes of molds. They cute.



3. Sweet dandelion fritters aka "dandelion doughnuts". I actually could not believe how delicious these were. It makes me wish I had spring sleepover guests so I could make a giant batch for everyone.
They are completely gluten-free and vegan, too. Wash the dandelion heads and set aside. Mix millet flour, baking soda, cane sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon with almond milk.
Set 1" of oil in a pot to boil.
Dip the dandelion heads in the batter and place in the oil. Flip once they start to brown.
Remove, sprinkle with cane sugar.
Once they were all complete, I drizzled them with maple syrup.
DAMN.

(These can also be made savoury, if you're feeling salty.)




4. Stir fry veggies for basmati rice with dandelion flowers incorporated.



5. Dandelion bud pickles. Small amount of onion and garlic in each jar. Brine: 1 cup white vinegar, 1 cup apple cider vinegar, 1 cup water, salt. They are supposed to be reminiscent of capers, and used for similar dishes.




No comments:

Post a Comment