Monday, May 13, 2019

Progress #35. Learn more about birdwatching

I went to a Toronto Zoo birding event yesterday with my parents and picked up some good resources.





It also made me realize how much more I'm already learning: ie the bird that knocked on my studio window the entire spring a couple years ago was definitely a female goldfinch: distinct from the male due to its greenish colouring and lack of black cap, and distinct from a warbler-type due to the beak shape.

This year, already, I've seen, in our own yard: downy woodpeckers, male and female cardinals, robins, chickadees, and house sparrows. On the way to, or around, work, I've seen: a blue jay, crows, red wing blackbirds, a hawk.

I have some field guides at home I traded some enamel pins for on Bunz late last summer. I'm going to start studying them, now that we are in a "practical application" time of year.





No comments:

Post a Comment