Sunday, May 19, 2019

#5. Go greener

Today's tip: Garage sales.

I had an illuminating conversation with a friend recently -- as, being someone on the autism spectrum -- I sometimes have trouble seeing the world outside of my own experiences.

We were talking about saving versus spending money. I have always existed someone in the former camp, so I have trouble imagining why those with very secure incomes ever have to live paycheque to paycheque (exclusively those with financial security, I mean - I very much understand our current capitalist trap of the ever-expanding gap between rich and poor, and a world of increasing lack of employment opportunities. I worry for my students' futures.)

The crux of my understanding in this conversation was about finding joy. I don't drink. I don't party. I don't go out to many concerts or plays. I cook more than order in. I am not interested in many possessions (my only vice being online clothing hauls, now and then). I am utilitarian with cars and shoes and makeup. I haven't had my hair cut in three years.

A fact: Many people absolutely find joy in all the listed things, above, that I do not.

I have somehow always found joy in conserving space and energy and money. Genuine joy! I experience joy in making something of nothing: I make arts and crafts of found materials. I forage and I plant. I roast my own coffee beans in a popcorn popper from my childhood. I love to cook without extravagance. All these things bring me the most joy -- but I don't know how to be any other way, so this is my life. It is not the life of everyone else.

I think, being products of a capitalist system, we are programmed to want and to accumulate THINGS. I am no different. This impulse, for me, is very much assuaged by garage sales -- the hunt, and the occasional find.

My husband is a collector, a picker, a flipper with a successful ebay business. Ergo, when I met him, he encouraged me back into the garage sales that brought me joy as a kid. This is our 5th year. We've done well for ourselves.

He maps them out and navigates. I drive. It is a Saturday routine, whenever we can, May to September or so.

As a small randomized example: This year's haul (two Saturdays now), has yielded the following for me: a $5 Bodom mini kettle, in box; a $1 vintage 1 gallon electric ice cream maker, new in box; $0.50 silicon ice cube maker, which I use for soap molds, new $2 yoga flash cards; $4 beads + findings + nylon cord + a book on how to make beads.

I only buy things I know I will use. Garage sales are an eco-friendly crafter's dream. Besides, you're not contributing to the production of new plastic, paper, and textile, as they already exist in the system, and secondhand doesn't yield a new replacement.

I will tell you about my favourite top 3 finds, and have asked my husband for input on his.

My top three!

1. Boxes of stained glass, instructionals, and all materials required to start my own projects. I think it was $20. "Garage sale prices" does not always mean next to free, but it does mean spending a fraction of what you would, at market cost. As someone whose lifelong goal is to learn new artistic skills, I often allow circumstance to guide this goal. To learn this one is on this current 43goals list. 

2. This very large vintage accordion sewing box. In a condition this great, and this unique a decoration, this would easily be worth 100+ on Etsy or Ebay. I paid $20. It holds my seed beads, beading threads, fabric scraps, and needles. I love it to pieces.




3. Raw gemstones, for tumbling. Numbered bags of amethyst (14), sodalite (10), and green moss agate (16). $2. The friendly elderly lady selling them said "That's a steal," and I said "Don't I know it!"




My husband's top three!

1. This Pacman arcade marquee glass, from the 80s. $10. My dad helped to construct him a light box to contain it, as a birthday present.





2. This Geoffrey's the giraffee Toys 'R Us sign, picked straight out of the garage of a man who used to work there. There is nothing comparable on Ebay, but closest estimates are $600+ USD, without the name. Geoff's keeping it, though. It has his name on it. Literally. $80. At 4×4 feet, it barely fit in the Fiat.



3. This really neat working vintage Molson Canadian stereo. The man selling it won it in a radio contest. $15.






No comments:

Post a Comment