Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Progress: #6. Learn more about coffee

 It's odd to learn more about a coffee AFTER drinking and loving it, but Gesha (Geisha) coffee is actually the most expensive and valuable coffee in the world (as much as $601 / per pound -- that isn't a typo).

It originated in the Gori Gesha Forest in Ethiopia, but is now grown around the (coffee-growing) world. It is known for its unique sweet flavour profile.

My sister's friend owns a coffee roastery and I once had the rare opportunity to try a very limited run of this coffee. (I think the producer actually lost money on this one, but was just so excited to roast such a special bean.) He sold it in small 100g tins and I bought a lot. It was the best coffee I've ever tasted and I miss it every day.

I tried to get some good coffee-loving friends to buy some when he eventually started selling it off for $10/tin. They didn't. That's an absolutely wild price and truth be told my heart kind of hurts that they didn't get to try such a special coffee (though the fault really lies with me because I drank all I had instead of buying them some, which is definitely what I should have done). I didn't even know quite how special it was at the time, and I don't know if I'll ever get an opportunity to have it again.


Original goal list posted here

No comments:

Post a Comment