Thursday, December 27, 2018

Progress: #34. Try 10 different beading projects

3/10: Wolf Medicine Pouch

I have never been religious, though I suppose -- besides a mixed CD -- a medicine pouch is the most sacred thing I could give you. It is crafted to carry the four great medicines, plus anything you hold dear. Traditionally, it's meant to be worn daily for protection, close to the heart, either visibly or not. I wore my last -- the first I ever crafted -- until the strings broke, and then I tied what was left to my backpack, so that it would still be with me every day. I'm in the process of making another for myself.

This, though, is for my work friend Ali. Ali is, really, every kind of ally. She has gifted me many quirky and/or wonderful gifts that are really close to my heart. She has gifted me many valuable words and pieces of advice. She has gifted me tickets to see Tanya Talaga speak the truth, to the resounding appreciation of a standing ovation.



I gift her this medicine pouch, with ceremonial tobacco, cedar, sweetgrass, white sage + space for whatever else is sacred.

I gift this to Ali, because someone who would respect an indigenous adornment enough to worry that wearing it could be disrespectful understands that everything made by hand and through culture contains a special sort of symbolism.

I picked a wolf because she is resourceful and logical and independent, but fiercely protective of her pack.

(Ali, I personally give you permission to wear this if and whenever you want, p.s.)




No comments:

Post a Comment