Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Progress: #12. Do more foraging

 I doubt I'll ever be a very avid mushroom forager. It's risk vs reward and there isn't a single meal I'd die for. That being said, there are about three foolproof "beginner" mushrooms (very identifiable features; no poisonous lookalikes) that I'd have no problem foraging for at present. 

I've picked and eaten Dryad's Saddle recently, but have never pickled it, so I thought that's what I'd try with today's forage. I vaguely followed this recipe, with many substitutions, based on what I had / didn't have on hand. (I don't have a mandolin, so I used a vegetable peeler. I didn't have shallots, so I used one large white onion. I didn't have jalapenos, so I used cayenne pepper powder. I didn't have fresh dill, so I used dried. I didn't have champagne vinegar, so I used half white and half apple cider.) What I tasted of what was left in the pot was amazing. I am hoping to put it on a nice veggie sandwich soon. 

Something to keep in mind about wild mushrooms, if you're pickling them. 99% of them - and I'm talking the ones considered to be edible - need to be cooked to eliminate the possibility of gastrointestinal problems, so even if you're pickling them, they still need to be cooked first.











No comments:

Post a Comment