Friday, March 15, 2019

Progress: #5. Go greener

(Almost) 2 week update on coffee ground sprout experiment:


The best yet are the Purple Cherokee tomatoes. 3/4 have sprouted and they are all looking strong. Oddly, they are supposed to have the statistically lowest and slowest germination rate of all my seeds, so maybe the coffee grounds help?



0/4 cherry tomatoes have sprouted. I seed-saved these from a dwarf plant in my Aerogarden and I know they *can* sprout, because I grew my current Aerogarden cherries from them.

1/4 beefsteak has sprouted, but it is looking quite weak. I seed-saved these from my (very good) plants two years ago. Last year's crop was really weak, though, so they may just be weak seeds. (Again, though, last year's summer weather - VERY dry and very hot - was terrible for GTA tomatoes.



1/8 Genovese Tomato plants has sprouted (0/4 on the windowsill, which is unsurprising, as it has been very cold), and 1/4 on the counter under my Aerogarden lights.

2/4 cucumber plants have sprouted. They are highly finicky, so they are the only ones I sprouted in soil.



I took out the two seeds that were unscripted and replaced them with Genovese Tomato. We shall see if the soil helps.

I'm going to give everything that hasn't sprouted 2 more weeks before I replant them all with Purple Cherokee (and perhaps a couple with soil for the dwarf cherries).



Original goal list posted here

No comments:

Post a Comment