Sunday, March 3, 2019

Progress #5. Go greener

I killed my aloe plant. I didn't realize none of the water seemed to be evaporating or draining in the cold, so giving a little water bi/weekly was too much and I didn't realize until the spikes started getting soft at the base and drooping over.

I'm sorry, little guy, and I won't let your life be in vain. I have turned you into conditioner. I scooped out the aloe and mixed it with melted coconut oil. I'll give it a go tomorrow.



I made six jars of soy milk with the last of my soybeans in my SoyaBella. I have tried to make use of my leftover ground soy beans through a few dehydrator concoctions: crackers, plain dehydrated bean paste to rehydrate for stews and soups. However, nothing has worked palatably besides... cookies. Yep. I mix them with oatmeal and/or gluten-free flour, ground flax, soy milk/water, organic cane sugar/maple syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg. I set to the highest setting for about 12 hours, turning halfway through. They are ugly, but tasty -- especially when warm. I can't say the same of anything else I've tried to make with ground soy beans. Blech.

Lastly, I roasted 2 pounds of Ethiopian Harrar beans. For awhile, I was selling small samples to friends -- mostly because I wanted people to taste artisanal coffee that was lovingly roasted. However, I think people are just content to love bad coffee instead. Not me, man. I've been trying to live off a big gross bag of dark roast Starbucks beans that I got in a Bunz trade and I'm losing my mind. 

These ones are all for me (unless I decide to take some for my pre-wedding lady party weekend. Coincidentally, these are my fellow ladies with coffee tastes of niche and delicacy. Hm.) I just need these beans to have their due appreciation.

I've been trying to replicate my favourite Ethiopian roast from De Mello Palheta, because their roasts are seasonal and I don't want to be without a suitable replacement. I read that Harrar has a reputation for having the strongest blueberry tasting notes. Here's hoping.


(PS: This saved dill pickle jar, washed thrice, is the perfect fit for 1lb of roasted beans.)



Original goal list posted here

No comments:

Post a Comment