Friday, March 15, 2019

Progress: #5. Go greener

I'm not sure if it is possible for a person to have too many hobbies, but I have a great number of them. I am a lot of things, but I am rarely bored.

Geoff is gone until Sunday, so - to stave off potential boredom, I have been keeping busy today with things otherwise noisy or messy.

I cooked a lentil loaf. I made almond milk and dehydrated crackers. I did the dishes. Tonight I'll try to watch some anime one of my students has been endlessly bothering me to see. She's written it down for me twice. She's followed up with me three times. She's given me a timeline. That's some serious commitment. I respect that.

Anyway. I also completed one of my messiest most space-invasive hobbies: I made melt and pour soap.

This is only the second time I've tried it out, but I utilized some new molds: A heart one I 3D printed months back, and some animal-shaped ice cream molds I traded for on Bunz, because I thought they could make fun soaps for my nephew.

I haven't quite figured out the trick, though. When I first pour, they are too liquid to affix the top (the print of the animal's face). If I wait a couple minutes too long, they aren't liquid enough. The cow mostly worked, the pig kind of worked, and the rooster didn't work at all.





Ah well. They look like some funky rough-cut Lush soaps, only less of a smell of chemicals.

The soap itself is vegetable-based glycerin, infused with coconut oil. I used essential oils for fragrance: orange, sweetgrass, lavender and mica for colour.

The cow and pig I'll give to my nephew, as thank you gifts for being our ring bearer. I hope he likes them!


Original goal list posted here

No comments:

Post a Comment